WELCOME TO FAIRVIEW hEALTH sERVICES
Notes from the nurse:
- Required physicals are grades K, 6th, 11th. We recommend your private physician complete these; however we do offer free exams from our school doctor in the spring. If you opt for a private exam, please get a copy of exam and immunizations at time of exam and return to us. Private exam forms are available in nurse’s office and Western’s homepage.
- Sports Physicals: INITIAL physicals are required every year but must be completed AFTER June 1st. Please take the time to fill out all items completely. We offer free sports physicals here at the school during each sport season. The next sport your child plays after that will only require a recertification form that asks about any illnesses or injuries since the first INITIAL physical. If all boxes are checked NO then they are clear to play. (These physicals count as required physicals for 6th and 11th grades.)
- Required dental exams are grades K, 3rd, 7th. We recommend your dentist complete these; however we do offer free dental exams from our school dentist in the fall. If you opt for a private exam, please get a copy of exam and return to us. Private exam forms are available in nurse’s office and Western’s homepage.
- Immunization requirements :
- Every student must have:
- 4 doses of tetanus (1 dose on or after 4th birthday)
- 4 doses diphtheria (1 dose on or after 4th birthday)
- 3 doses polio
- 2 doses of measles
- 2 doses of mumps
- 1 dose rubella (German measles)
- 3 doses Hepatitis B
- 2 doses of varicella (chickenpox) vaccine or history of disease
- 7th graders: required to have MCV (meningitis) and TDaP (tetanus /diphtheria/pertussis) before the start of school.
THESE ARE DUE BEFORE THE START OF SCHOOL..MAKE APPOINTMENTS NOW! The Department of Health in Beaver can assist if you with free vaccines if you do not have insurance.
- Medications should be given at home if possible. In the event that a medication is needed during school hours, we require a medication form signed by physician and parent. Medication forms are available in the nurse’s office and downloadable on Western’s homepage .The parent should transport medication to the nurse for review. We do not give OTC meds except for Tylenol/Advil.
- Emergency cards are updated yearly, however if there is a change in your child’s health information, contact information, or medications at home, please inform us.
- Helpful hints/policies-
- If your child has fever or vomits please keep home.
- If your child has crust in eye upon awakening, please consider pink eye- needs to be on antibiotic drops 24hrs before return to school. Please bring in script or note from doctor.
- If your child has sore throat, please consider strep throat- antibiotics for 24 hrs before return to school. Please bring in script or note from doctor.
- Please do not give Benadryl or cough medicine and send your child to school- they will likely sleep in class all day
- If starting a new medicine- please trial it over a weekend, not before school.
- Remind your child that they CANNOT carry medication on them in school.
- Remind your child NOT to text you when they are ill- please report to the nurse’s office where we can assess them and make appropriate calls.
- Please do not give laxatives on a Sunday night or Monday morning.
- Please inspect your child’s hair for nits/lice frequently- treat and comb frequently. Please inform us of any outbreaks.
- It is helpful to know if your child is absent due to illness. Please call 724-643-9680 Ext. 3040, send in a note, or email us email@example.com to keep us informed.
- Remember to get copies of all exams: physical, dental, immunizations, vision, hearing, etc at TIME OF EXAM or your doctor’s office will most likely charge you.
- The Department of health offers free immunizations for uninsured children.
- We have applications for CHIP, dental clinics, and vision clinics to assist the uninsured. Please contact the nurse’s office if you would like additional information.
- The nurses are here to help you. If you have any concerns or questions please call or email us.
Fairview Nurse: 724-643-9680 Ext 3040
Thank you for your cooperation!
Wendy Robison RN BSN CSN MSN FNP
Michelle Coulter RN